Ways to Remember Idea #2

So the idea I want to share with you today is one that you may know about.  If you don't, you really must check out the blog site and see how wonderful this is.  There is a couple who have dedicated themselves to writing the names of lost babies in the sand at the beach near their home.  They call their beach Christian's beach, in honor and memory of their stillborn son Christian.  Once you send them your baby's name, it goes on a wait list and within a couple of days, you will get an email notification that your picture is ready.  There is no charge to have your baby's name written in the sand unless you want to purchase the jpeg image, which is $25.  Then you can print your picture on canvas or any way you wish.  The sunsets in their photography are stunning.  The link is:  http://namesinthesand.blogspot.com/ 

If you take a look at the blog, there are links to some other creative things they offer.  One of my favorites is the selection of cards for bereaved parents.  They are really beautiful. 

Of course, you can always write your baby's name in the sand yourself--make it a project with your spouse, other children, or with your other family members.  If you don't live near a beach or have no plans to be at a beach in the near future, you can find another creative way to write your baby's name.

There is something to be said about seeing their name and writing their name.  For me, it brings home the reality that my baby was a being, that she was here in the world, and that she is remembered.  I had a friend who photographed street signs that had her baby's name on them.  She would make these amazing black and white photographs of these street signs.  I love them!

Someone asked me about a year ago if I would use Elizabeth's name again if I had another baby.  I am not making this up.  I thought, "Seriously??"  I had to stop and realize that this came from someone who has never experienced anything awful, especially the loss of a baby.  She was pregnant with her 5th child at the time.  Maybe there are differing opinions on whether to "reuse" the name, but I would not.  That name is and forever will be, hers.  It is not for someone else.  She is the only Elizabeth that I will ever have.

So, for me at least, there is tremendous power in a name.  Don't be afraid to say it or write it...your baby was here and it is OK to remember that in any way that you want to.

Comments

Popular Posts